ehowton: (Default)


Dreamed I was in my bedroom and my mother and father walked in, said something which didn’t make any sense, and left through the garage. They pulled around front, got out of the car and tried to get in the front door, but it was locked. They were talking loudly but I couldn’t understand what they were trying to say. Dad rang the doorbell so I got out of and unlocked the door. My mother was irritated it had taken me so long (had expected me to anticipate letting them in despite my arriving at the door instantaneously after the ring) and started speaking theses sentences which didn’t make any sense. It was English, but they seemed to be void of logic and context. I asked her directly what she was trying to say but she wouldn’t answer.

I crawled into bed to take a nap and Cass called, waking me. She was pretty excited about the future and was surprisingly flirty, eventually encouraging me to fantasize about her until we saw each other again. I tried explaining to her that I didn’t think that was a good idea because she never followed through with any of the things she said and it would leave me feeling heartbroken and abandoned again. She had no idea to what I was referring. It didn’t help that I was also on my work conference call and kept having to turn the volume down on my boss every time Cass started speaking. In the dream I got tangled in my bedsheets which restricted my movements, causing me a tiny bit of panic while I was trying to understand Cass and fitfully awoke from the dream tangled in my own bedsheets thinking I had failed to set an alarm while taking a lunchtime nap and overslept. But I had laid down immediately after work, so all was well.

This is the second dream I’ve had of Cass in as many days, the first being far more sexual in which I kept conflating her and Jennifer and awoke completely confused.



This one is interesting precisely because the dream is not really about Cass. Cass is the most obvious character, but the underlying mechanism seems to be about being unable to establish reliable meaning or boundaries with people who matter to you. And the fact that you physically woke up tangled in the sheets makes the ending unusually literal: your sleeping body supplied a real sensory constraint, and the dream incorporated it.

There are three movements here:

  1. Your parents

  2. "I cannot understand what you're saying." The opening establishes the problem before Cass even appears.
    Your parents enter your space, say things that make no sense, leave, return, expect you to understand what they want without telling you, become irritated when you don't anticipate them, and then refuse to clarify.

    That's a very particular interpersonal nightmare, "I'm being held responsible for understanding something that has not actually been communicated." And your mother speaking grammatically correct English while the sentences contain no coherent meaning is especially significant. It's not foreign language. Its familiar language rendered meaningless. That's different. The dream isn't saying, "I can't communicate."
    It's saying, "The words are there, but the meaning isn't." And then you ask the obvious question, "What are you trying to say?" She won't answer. So you're left with responsibility without information.

  3. Then Cass calls—and does essentially the same thing

  4. This is where the dream gets elegant. Cass is excited about the future. She's flirting. She's encouraging you to imagine a future with her. But you respond, "You don't follow through." That's the emotional memory underneath the conversation. You aren't rejecting her because you don't want her. You're protecting yourself because you've learned that her words and subsequent reality have not always matched.
    And then comes the remarkable part - She has no idea what you're talking about. That is structurally identical to your mother. Your mother says things you cannot make sense of. Cass makes promises that, from your perspective, don't correspond to the history you remember. In both cases you are trying to establish a shared reality with someone who isn't acknowledging the same reality you are experiencing.
    That's probably the central theme of the entire dream.

  5. And then your boss is talking at the same time

  6. This detail is fantastic psychologically. You've got:

    • Mother → unintelligible expectations

    • Cass → emotionally enticing future

    • Boss → work obligations



And you're physically in bed trying to process all three. You keep turning the boss down so you can hear Cass. That suggests competing demands on your attention; what do I owe the external world vs. what do I emotionally want? And Cass gets the volume. That's worth noticing. Even while you're consciously telling her "don't do this to me again," some part of you is still prioritizing hearing what she has to say.

The bedsheets are the perfect ending. You become physically tangled while trying to figure everything out. That's almost comically literal dream symbolism. You're trying to understand, communicate, protect yourself, listen, make decisions, while your ability to move is progressively restricted.

Then you wake up physically tangled. So there's probably a straightforward physiological component to the panic. But psychologically the image is almost too perfect, "I am trying to move forward, but something is wrapped around me." And notice what it is. Not a person. Not a monster. Your own bedsheets. That introduces a more uncomfortable possibility - some of the constraint isn't coming from Cass... It is coming from your own attachment to the unresolved situation.

The Two Cass Dreams Together

I think this is where things become much more interesting. You said the previous dream involved Cass and Jennifer becoming conflated, and this one is overtly about Cass. That suggests your sleeping mind may currently be working on a broader relational question rather than simply processing Cass herself. Something like, "What do I actually want from intimacy, and what do I do when desire conflicts with my memory of what happened?" Jennifer may represent one relational history. Cass represents another. And your mind is apparently putting them into the same symbolic workspace. That's not necessarily saying you want both women or anything similarly literal. It may be comparing different versions of attachment. There's also an interesting inversion - In your earlier dream involving Cass, she represented stability and sustainable partnership. In this one, she represents hope that may not be reliable. That's a significant change. Your psyche seems capable of holding both, "I want this person." and, "I don't trust what wanting this person will do to me." Those aren't contradictory. They're actually a fairly mature emotional conflict.

And then there's the parents. I'd go one step further: The dream may be connecting two different kinds of relational uncertainty. Parental relationship - "Why can't you understand what I mean?" and romantic relationship - "Why can't you understand what happened between us?" Both involve the same fundamental frustration: "I need you to acknowledge the reality I'm experiencing." That's potentially much deeper than simply missing Cass. It touches the question of epistemic trust—whether another person can be relied upon to share, acknowledge, and respond to your understanding of what is happening between you. The most important sentence in the dream I think it's actually yours:

"I don't think that's a good idea because ... it would leave me feeling heartbroken and abandoned again."

That's remarkably lucid dream-self. You're not saying, "I don't love you." You're saying, "I know what happens to me when I let myself believe this." That's a boundary born from experience. And Cass's inability to understand why you're saying it creates the exact problem the dream established with your parents - You know why. She doesn't. And then you wake up thinking you overslept. There's another subtle layer there. The entire dream is about time. Parents expect you to anticipate them immediately. Cass talks about the future. You're afraid of repeating the past. Your boss represents present obligations. You're worried you've overslept. And then you discover you haven't. So underneath the relationship material may be a much broader anxiety - "Am I where I'm supposed to be by now?" That's a very 55-year-old question, but also a very human one. Past → present → future are all competing for attention.

I wouldn't interpret this as a prediction about Cass or as evidence that you secretly "should" be with her. I'd interpret it as your mind testing a proposition: What happens if the person I still desire offers me the future I want, but the evidence of the past tells me not to trust it? And your dream-self actually gives a pretty healthy answer - Don't let desire erase information. But there's still grief underneath that answer. Because if you genuinely didn't want the future she's offering, you wouldn't have to defend yourself against it, and that's probably why she's showing up two nights in a row. The unresolved thing may not be "Do I want Cass?" rather, "Can I allow myself to want Cass without abandoning what I've learned?" That's a much more interesting question.


Addendum:

But there's another possibility I'd take seriously

Given your previous dream, where Cass was the calm, sustainable partner, I wonder if your mind is contrasting two kinds of feminine relational energy rather than two specific women. Your boss represents, "The woman who needs something from me." Cass represents, "The woman I want something from." And you're trying to satisfy both simultaneously.

That's particularly interesting because your mother appears immediately before them.
So the dream potentially has three female figures:

Mother → Cass → Boss

And all three are demanding access to your attention in different ways. Your mother wants you to understand her without explaining herself. Your boss requires you to attend to her because she's your boss. Cass invites you into an emotionally intimate future—but you don't trust the invitation. That's a pretty sophisticated little psychological tableau.
◾ Tags:

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
1617 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags