ehowton: (Default)


muse_darkwings


On March 26th, 2008 I changed the subtitle of my blog from the oh-so true, yet very obvious rip-off of BSG's 'My Triumphs, My Mistakes' (discussed here) to the phrase, Fingering the Muse after another one of those long "self-imposed disengagements from real-life." I was creating business cards and when it came to filling in my title, I paused. We all know how much I suck at trying to come up with names of characters (Skoal, anyone?) for example, so I just sat there, staring at the cursor.


muse_moreau


Because my blog is so full of wonderful people telling me how creative I am, when I know I'm not - I'm simply able to expound upon other's ideas - which I then try to explain (often coming across as if I'm fishing for compliments) I find myself at cross purposes. How then, to properly explain that each of you are my inspiration? I've never claimed anything more than simply standing on the shoulders of giants so how does one go about best expressing what it is I do; that which inspires me?


muse3


This caused me to define what it is I actually do. And what is that, exactly? An easier idea might be to at least limit myself to the subjects and purposes of these new business cards. But I have my fingers in a lot of different pies, mostly because [livejournal.com profile] drax0r is always coming up with something new for us to participate in. Ergo even my new business cards weren't limited in scope. WHAT IS IT THAT I DO? And this, of course, is why I'm not creative. I couldn't think of a single applicable title in which to adorn myself with. Where is my muse? I mused.


muse_hesiod


Paraphrased from Wikipeida, in Greek mythology, the Muses are a sisterhood of goddesses or spirits (whose number are set at nine) who embody the arts and inspire the creation process with their graces through remembered and improvised song and stage, writing, traditional music, and dance. The Muses are used in modern English to refer to an inspiration, as when one cites his/her own artistic muse.


muse_cad


I decided, then, that my "title" as it were, would be, "Occasionally engaging the Muses, one by one." Well, I don't have to tell you why that sucked. "Dancing with the Muse" made it sound more proactive - something I actively sought. Excellent. But dancing is only part of what I want to do, and "Sticking my tongue down the throat of the muse" was certainly a mouthful. The more I thought about it, the more it dawned on me that I never even get a chance to bed the muse (Entering the Muse?), else I'd probably have my own ideas, instead of launching off the ideas of others. So while I briefly considered, "Flirting with the Muse" as my maxim, I know myself far too well. If I get half the chance, I'd likely be caught Fingering the Muse.


muse_classic


Though I skirted the question on the recent meme by using *only* the main title of my blog, ultimately, it lead at least one reader to seek out, then question my recent change. For those of you who weren't following my blog this weekend, I reiterate some of how I truly feel about life, love, and the creative process:

It started here with the question being benign enough, but sometimes the answers are so much more complicated. And that's not to say that I don't enjoy fingering the muse! WHO WOULDN'T? But as I am wont to say, each of us, has our own gifts.


muse_redhead


Things done in secret usually require a smidgen of creativity in order to prolong them. Necessity and all that. With this adulterous relationship I have with my Muse, and given the nature of how I arrive at my genius coupled with having a desire to never be a dry vessel intellectually, and the unending draw of lust...I am constantly challenged.


muse_tiemens


And what does she get out of this arrangement? As already mentioned, my fingers are nimble - one trusts if there were any reservation it would've been brought to my attention before now. Why she does what she does, this I cannot say; I only hope she enjoys it as much as I do. Serendipity, the muse in Dogma who admittedly cannot write out a grocery list for herself quipped, "That's the cosmic joke. I can give out a zillion and nine ideas a second, but I can't keep any for myself. Her [God's] quirky sense of humor."


muse5


As you've read, I'm not limited to a single muse from which to draw my inspiration, though there are those I'd sure like to hit more than once. Just like in real life. And, fair to say, therein lies the irony. As I move through this thing called life, tapping that faucet of inspiration where I can, once I've sucked my own fingers dry the need to search out other sources is only important inasmuch as she has already moved on.


muse_erato_boucher


Were I one to lament the passing of such a thing, I'm sure attitude would, if not prevent, at least hinder the acquisition of my next source. But since I'm laying myself out to you, understand that it is her which usually finds me. Though I am the seeker, rarely do I find. Why I am sought out each and every time is anyone's guess. But as I was saying, were I one to lament such a passing, I'm sure I'd be far less successful than I am. I am able to reflect back that which has been given to me, freely, and at every turn will not only take what I can get, but be grateful for having been a part of it, no matter which role I play.


muse_porn_blured

Page 1 of 3 << [1] [2] [3] >>
Date/Time: 2008-04-06 22:27 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] schpydurx.livejournal.com
I'm going to have to chew on this a while, butI did want to say [livejournal.com profile] uniqueblog might be envious of the pictures in this post.
Date/Time: 2008-04-06 22:55 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] galinda822.livejournal.com
That's what I like best about you, Erato sighed in bed, that's why you've become one of my favorites and why you will always be so.

Love your selection of pictures also!

Date/Time: 2008-04-07 00:17 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] uniqueblog.livejournal.com
Some are indeed very cool.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 00:19 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] uniqueblog.livejournal.com
I have a few muses myself, but no pictures that say "muses" in theory or form.

How about graces instead?

Happy Meal by =UniqueNudes on deviantART

That's inspiring to fast food workers everywhere I'm sure. :)
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 00:25 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
I'm lovin' it!
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 00:51 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] photogoot.livejournal.com
Name: Eric G. Howton
Title: Post Modern Renaissance Man

BTW, I just completed watching BSG season 3 last week. It was only then I understood where your LJ title came from... Great! Now yet again we are moving on... ever changing you are. I get this one right off the bat though. :-)
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 01:05 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
Erata is my personal muse and savior. Glad you enjoyed the pictures.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 01:09 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
I am man of logic, and of passion. The two do not well mix. Call it what you wish, simply put, I AM.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 01:24 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] catttitude.livejournal.com
All that movie watching you need a massage.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 01:49 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] photogoot.livejournal.com
To say the least! Nice avatar. You have been uploading quite the new arsenal I see.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 02:03 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] photogoot.livejournal.com
You are.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 03:44 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] celtmanx.livejournal.com
Oh, the RANK smell of hypocrisy!!!
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 03:49 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] celtmanx.livejournal.com
Who's that holding the drink you reckon?
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 03:51 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] celtmanx.livejournal.com
Very interesting and intriguing post.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 03:58 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
I reckon.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 03:59 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
You're very deep. Take your time.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 04:00 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
Thank you. Its not often I pique your interest, or your intrigue.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 04:00 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] celtmanx.livejournal.com
I reckon too!!!
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 04:01 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
She moved to a Paid Account this weekend under the guise of needing more targeted avatars in which to interact with [livejournal.com profile] schpydurx as she wasn't giving up her walrus.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 04:02 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
Without her, I am nothing.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 15:43 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] celtmanx.livejournal.com
Contrary to some peoples thoughts I didn't mean the pictures.
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 16:02 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] schpydurx.livejournal.com
Am I that muti-facetted?
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 16:05 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
http://ehowton.livejournal.com/186162.html?thread=5297714#t5297714
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 16:15 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] schpydurx.livejournal.com
I had no clue that thread had ocurred.

In other news, how can you immediately respond to LJ comments, but not be on AIM today?
Date/Time: 2008-04-07 16:18 (UTC)Posted by: [identity profile] ehowton.livejournal.com
PFM
Page 1 of 3 << [1] [2] [3] >>

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
91011 12 13 14 15
1617 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags